Monday, November 21, 2011

Church Bazaar


Life in Vermont, especially as we get closer to the winter holidays, means weekends filled with crafts bazaars, bake sales, and communities gathering together to share in community spirit and cheer. Visiting Scholar Jianhong had the chance to attend her first Church Bazaar in Vermont, and shares her thoughts about the benefits of community in the following reflection:

It is Saturday today but I got up early because I will be going with my host family to the bazaar in the United Methodist Church in Brattleboro. This is the first time for me to go to a church bazaar.
Our preparations for the bazaar lasted several weeks. Last month, we picked some apples in the orchard and made ten apple pies and more than forty bottles of apple sauce. Last week we spent some time making some crafts. On Friday night we also baked some rolls. All these were for sale at the bazaar to collect money to help those who are in need.
The bazaar was held from 9am to 1pm on November 19th. Many people came to the bazaar. The food stands and the personalized ornament stands were the most popular.
I stayed there the whole time and I tried to be helpful. I chatted a lot with people from all walks of life. What impressed me the most is that plenty of grandparents came to buy some Christmas presents for their grandchildren. All the people who work for the bazaar were volunteers.
If everyone is happy to help others, our world will be a much better place.

1 comment:

  1. Jianghong has been a very busy individual during the last few weeks. She really worked hard on this bazaar with her home stay hostess. I personally went to the bazaar and was one of those “grandparents” she talked about.

    ReplyDelete